GLMA’s Annual Conference is the premier, interdisciplinary LGBTQ health conference and the world’s largest scientific gathering devoted to LGBTQ health issues and concerns.
GLMA’s Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students—from across the health professions—about the unique health needs of LGBTQ individuals and families. The conference is a forum for discussion and exploration of how best to address these needs as well as the needs of LGBTQ health professionals and health profession students. GLMA’s Annual Conference also reports on research into the health needs of LGBTQ people.
GLMA’s Annual Conference draws over 400 participants from various health professions including physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, mental and behavioral health specialists and social workers, dentists, pharmacists, researchers, educators, health policy specialists, advocates, administrators, public health practitioners, health profession students and others interested in improving health for LGBTQ individuals.
General topics presented at GLMA’s Annual Conference include:
- Academic health (medicine, nursing, etc)
- Behavioral health
- Bisexual health
- Cultural competence
- Differences of sex development
- Emerging LGBTQ health concerns
- Families, fertility and relationships
- Gay/MSM health
- Health across the lifespan (e.g., youth, aging)
- Health policy and advocacy
- Health professions education
- HIV/AIDS, infectious disease and STI prevention, testing and treatment
- Lesbian/WSW health
- Mental health
- Original, scientific research
- Primary care
- Public health
- Resilience factors in LGBTQ communities
- Reproductive health
- Sexual health
- Substance abuse treatment/prevention
- Transgender health
Professional Competencies Addressed:
1. Healthcare Knowledge
2. Interpersonal and Communication Skills
3. Patient Care
5. Practice-based Learning and Improvement
6. System-based Practice
2019 GLMA Nursing Summit
The 201 GLMA Nursing Summit is planned to take place all day on September 11, 2019.
The goal of the GLMA Nursing Summit is to bring together LGBTQ and ally nurses and nurse supporters to further the GLMA Nursing Section Action Plan to improve critical LGBTQ issues in the nursing profession. The summit will provide a forum for mentorship, support, and networking for attendees in the areas of research, leadership, education and training, policy, climate, and patient care.